This two day hands-on, comprehensive workshop is the first step on the career path to becoming a Certified Postpartum & Infant Care Doula. This training will prepare you with the practical skills necessary to provide postpartum support to women and their families, the entry level business skills you’ll need to get started and the level of confidence it takes to make it all happen.
Your doula trainer and the ProDoula home team will be your doulas, there to support you every step of the way as you embark upon this amazing journey.
Non-Judgmental Support & Communication
● Physical, educational & emotional support
● DISC Personality – Introduction and Assessment Test
● Support based on personality and need
● Listening styles
Physical recovery from birth
● Vaginal birth, surgical birth
● Recovery – normal and beyond normal
● When to encourage a call to a medical professional
Breastfeeding & Formula Feeding
● Benefits for mother & baby
● Challenges – sore nipples, flat/inverted nipples, engorgement, stress & troubleshooting issues
● Positions for breastfeeding, supporting the breastfeeding family
● Alternatives of milk transfer – cup, finger, bottle & paced feeding & expression and storage of breastmilk
● Reasons for formula feeding, formula feeding basics, specialty formulas
● Bottle feeding – cleaning and sanitizing bottles, types of bottles and nipples, making bottle feeding a bonding experience.
Newborn Care & Infant Sleep
● Co-Sleeping/Sleep, Vaccines, SIDS, Cord Care, Circumcision Care, Feeding and Sleeping Cues, Comforting
● Bathing, Swaddling, Common Baby Products.
● Current Recommendations, SUIDS & SIDS
● Sleep Shaping & Baby Directed Sleep
● Introducing philosophies, creating an environment based on philosophy
Sibling Care, Multiples,
● Recognizing symptoms – Baby blues, depression, psychosis, obsessive compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder
● Introduction of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale & when to refer to a medical professional
Meal Preparation, Light Housekeeping & Laundry
The doula interview
● Behaviors, frequently asked questions, sample contract
Business Forms, Branding and Marketing & Much More
This 20 hour workshop must be attended in its entirety. Cost for this 2 day intensive course is $595 plus your first year membership fee of $75. Annual membership fee for each subsequent year is $50. (ALL FUNDS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE)